by Ernest Thompson Seton
Friend of the Little Brothers
The degree of Friend of Little Brothers may be conferred upon any one who accomplishes
13 of these tests.
1. Find in the field and identify five species of snakes.
2. Identify 15 species of snakes in a zoo or museum and tell which are poisonous.
3. Join an organization for the protection of snakes and help educate others as to the
economic value of non-poisonous snakes.
4. Find and identify 10 species of turtles.
5. Find and identify 8 species of lizards or salamanders.
6. Make a careful record from observation of the development of an amphibian from the
egg to the adult stage.
7. Observe and record the habits of some adult amphibian and tell of its economic
8. Identify five species of frogs.
9. Identify five species of toads (may be in museum).
10. Make good recognizable photos of any five of the following found in the field:
Turtle, snake, lizard, salamander, frog, toad, fish, crab.
11. Identify 20 species of fish either alive or in the market.
12. Catch 8 species of fish and give an account of how and where each was caught.
13. Make a fish pond, and in it raise at least two species of fish for two seasons.
14. Make a spawning bed for fish and have it used by them.
15. Find and identify 20 species of salt water shells.
16. Identify four species of crabs found alive.
17. Identify 8 other species of crustaceans, and describe the habits and food value of
two of them.
18. Identify 10 other species of water animals, observed alive, not included in above.
19. Make and maintain successfully for three months a fresh water aquarium, containing
at least three forms of animal life.
20. As above for a salt water aquarium.
For "How To" Information, See: The
Birch Bark Roll